What is magnesium citrate? How does it work (mechanism of action)?
Magnesium citrate is supplied as an oral tablet or liquid saline laxative. Magnesium citrate retains water in the intestines by osmosis. Increasing water in the bowel aids motility, usually producing a bowel movement within one-half to six hours.
What are the uses for magnesium citrate?
Magnesium citrate is used for:
- Bowel evacuation (bowel preparation or cleansing)
- Bowel irregularity
- A nutritional supplement and for treating acid indigestion
What are the side effects of magnesium citrate?
The most common side effects of magnesium citrate are:
What is the dosage for constipation? How should it be taken?
- Adults and children 12 years of age and older: Use 195 to 300 ml of magnesium citrate with a full glass of water. It may be taken as a single dose or divided doses or may also be used with 2 to 4 tablets at bedtime.
- Children 6 to under 12 years of age: Use 90 to 210 ml of magnesium citrate with a full glass of water; it may be taken as a single dose or divided doses.
- Children 2 to under 6 years of age: Use 60 to 90 ml of magnesium citrate; it may be taken as a single dose or divided doses with a maximum dose of 90 ml in 24 hours.
Which drugs or supplements interact with magnesium citrate?
Magnesium citrate should not be combined with antibiotics like:
- eltrombopag (Promacta)
- doxycycline (Vibramycin)
- demeclocycline (Declomycin)
- dolutegravir (Tivicay)
- minocycline (Minocin)
- ciprofloxacin (Cipro)
- levofloxacin (Levaquin)
Magnesium citrate decreases absorption of these antibiotics and leads to decreased therapeutic effect.
Is magnesium citrate safe to take if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
- There is little risk of harm to the developing fetus.
- Magnesium citrate can be safely and effectively used in nursing mothers because of minimal infant risk.
What else should I know about magnesium citrate?
- Magnesium citrate is availabe as 290 mg/ 5 ml and tablets of 100 mg.
- Store magnesium citrate between temperatures 8 C and 30 C (46 F and 86 F).
- Magnesium citrate is availabe in generic form.
- You do not need a prescription from your doctor to buy Milk of Magnesia.