What is pramoxine-hydrocortisone lotion? How does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Pramoxine-hydrocortisone products are used to treat pain and inflammation caused by various skin conditions. Hydrocortisone is a synthetic (man-made) corticosteroid that is used on the skin (topically). The naturally-occurring corticosteroid is cortisol or hydrocortisone produced by the adrenal gland. Corticosteroids have potent anti-inflammatory actions and also suppress the immune response.
- Pramoxine is a local anesthetic (numbing agent) that provides relief from itching and pain. Local anesthetics are chemicals that interfere with the function of the nerves that sense pain. Pramoxine may be used in persons who are allergic to other local anesthetics such as lidocaine, procaine, or benzocaine.
- The FDA approved hydrocortisone/pramoxine in August 1976.
- Epifoam, Pramosone, Proctofoam HC, Procort, Analpram HC are the brand names for pramoxine-hydrocortisone products.
- Pramoxine-hydrocortisone is not available in generic form.
- You need a prescription for pramoxine-hydrocortisone.
What are the side effects of pramoxine-hydrocortisone?
Common side effects include:
What is the dosage for pramoxine-hydrocortisone?
Hydrocortisone/pramoxine is applied to the affected area as a thin film 3 to 4 times a day depending on the severity of condition.
Which drugs or supplements interact with pramoxine-hydrocortisone?
There are no drug interactions listed for topical hydrocortisone/pramoxine.
Is pramoxine-hydrocortisone safe to use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding?
- The use of hydrocortisone/pramoxine by pregnant women has not been adequately evaluated.
- It is not known if hydrocortisone/pramoxine is secreted in breast milk.
What else should you know about pramoxine-hydrocortisone?
What preparations of pramoxine-hydrocortisone are available?
- Rectal aerosol foam: 1%/1%
- Cream: 0.5%/1%, 1%/1%, and 2.5%/1%
- Lotion: 1%/1% and 2.5%/1%
How should I keep pramoxine-hydrocortisone stored?
- Hydrocortisone/pramoxine cream and lotion should be stored at room temperature between 15 C and 30 C (59 F and 86 F).
- The aerosol foam is stored at room temperature, between 20 C and 25 C (68 F and 77 F).