How can I make my skin tighter?
A variety of home remedies and doctor prescribed treatments may help you make your skin tighter.
Most people experience sagging skin between the ages of 35 and 40 years old. Sagging skin can be unappealing and result in low self-confidence in most of the population. As we age, the production of proteins that are responsible for keeping our skin plump, firm and smooth (collagen and elastin) declines gradually, resulting in sagging skin on the face, neck and body. Sagging skin can also be a result of
All the above factors destroy collagen and inhibit its production leading to a loss of skin elasticity.
There are multiple treatment options to make skin tighter. Some of the natural or home remedies to firm the skin include
- Facial exercises: Various exercises to strengthen the facial muscles may help make the face look more sculpted. You can exercise the cheek muscles, muscles around the mouth and neck muscles to reduce the appearance of sagging. These exercises are available online. Your physiotherapist can also explain these exercises to you.
- Massaging oils: Oil massage can have a great effect on firming the skin. Some of the most effective massage oils include
- Virgin coconut oil: Coconut oil penetrates deep into skin cells. It hydrates and nourishes the skin. Massage the oil in an upward circular motion for 5 to 10 minutes. Leave the oil on overnight.
- Almond oil: Almond oil is rich in vitamin E. It helps to firm the skin. Massage the oil into the skin for 20 minutes before taking a shower.
- Vitamin E oil: Vitamin E is essential for glowing and firm skin. Due to its antioxidant properties, it improves skin texture and health. Massage this oil into your skin for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Fish oil: Fish oil capsules can also be useful for skin tightening. Massage this oil into your skin for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera consists of aloesin that helps improve skin elasticity and the moisture content of skin. Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the skin and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Pomegranate: Phytonutrients present in pomegranate help tighten the skin. Apply pomegranate paste onto the skin and massage it for a few minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Yogurt: Yogurt, when used as a face mask, can promote skin health. Lactic acid in yogurt shrinks the pores and tightens the skin. However, there aren’t sufficient studies to prove the effectiveness of yogurt in skin tightening. You may apply yogurt directly onto the face or combine it with other substances to make a face mask.
- Turmeric: Curcumin present in turmeric improves the elasticity and hydration of the skin. You can make a paste consisting of one tablespoon each of turmeric and fresh cream or yogurt and apply it onto your face. Let it remain for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
Even if home remedies seem to be appealing, do not completely rely on them. Apart from these home remedies, your dermatologist may prescribe cosmetic procedures to tighten the skin, which include
- An ultrasound procedure that sends heat deep into the skin
- A radiofrequency device that when placed against the skin heats the tissue beneath it
- Laser treatment sends heat deep into the skin without damaging the top layer of the skin
Skin-firming creams or lotions may bring about subtle skin tightening because they do not penetrate deep into the skin.
Adopting some lifestyle changes can also help tighten the skin. These include
- Regular exercise to tighten loose skin caused due to excessive weight loss
- Drinking enough water to restore the youthfulness of the skin
- Exfoliating the skin once a week to remove dead cells, which also helps to tighten the skin
- Using the right body moisturizers to firm the skin
- Massaging the skin regularly with oils to improve circulation and blood flow
- Refraining from smoking
- Regular use of sunscreen
- Avoiding soaps containing sulfates
Surgery should always be the last option for skin tightening. Some of the surgeries done on specific parts of the body include
- Face lift
- Lower body lift
- Arm lift
- Tummy tuck
- Upper body lift