What is cyanocobalamin tablets, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Cyanocobalamin or vitamin B12 is an essential
B-vitamin that is classified as a water-soluble vitamin. Food sources of vitamin
B12 include fish, shellfish, meats, and dairy products. Vitamin B12 is necessary
for growth, reproduction of cells (for example, production of red blood cells,
and the production of myelin that protects nerves and proteins within the
nucleus of cells. Vitamin B12 also plays an important role in the breakdown or metabolism of fats and carbohydrates and production of proteins. Vitamin B12
deficiency may result in anemia, gastrointestinal problems, and nerve damage.
What brand names are available for cyanocobalamin tablets?
Vitamin B12, B12
Is cyanocobalamin tablets available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for cyanocobalamin tablets?
What are the side effects of cyanocobalamin tablets?
Common side effects of cyanocobalamin include:
Other possible side effects of cyanocobalamin include:
What is the dosage for cyanocobalamin tablets?
- The recommended dose for treating vitamin B12 deficiency is 1000 mcg daily.
- The recommended dose for preventing vitamin B12 deficiency is 1500 mg or 2500
mcg (sublingual tablets) daily.
- The dose for treating hyperhomocysteinemia is 400 mg daily in combination
with folic acid.
Which drugs or supplements interact with cyanocobalamin tablets?
- Chloramphenicol may decrease the effectiveness of cyanocobalamin.
- Cancer drugs may reduce the response to cyanocobalamin treatment.
- Use of colchicine and heavy alcohol intake for longer than 2 weeks may
decrease the absorption of vitamin B12.
Are cyanocobalamin tablets safe to take if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
- Cyanocobalamin has not been adequately evaluated in
pregnant women. However,
vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin and requirements are increased
- Cyanocobalamin is excreted into human milk and is safe to use while nursing.
Vitamin B12 requirements are increased in nursing mothers.
What else should I know about cyanocobalamin tablets?
What preparations of cyanocobalamin tablets are available?
- Tablets: 100, 250, 500, and 1000 mcg
- Tablet (extended release): 1000 mcg; Tablet (sublingual): 2500 mcg
- Capsules: 250 and 500 mg
How should I keep cyanocobalamin tablets stored?
- Tablets should be stored at room temperature, 20 C to 25 C (68 F to 77 F).