What are oral anabolic steroids,
and how do they work?
Anabolic steroids are orally-ingested, synthetic (man-made) drugs that act like
testosterone. They cause growth and development of male sexual organs, secondary
sex characteristics, and increases in muscle size and strength.
What are the uses for these drugs?
This class of drugs are used for the treatment of:
They also are used for replacing testosterone in men with low testosterone levels.
Are these drugs abused?
Anabolic steroids often are abused by athletes for increasing muscle mass and performance. Non-athletes and non-competitive body builders also abuse anabolic steroids for cosmetic reasons.
What are the side effects of oral anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids have many side effects because testosterone, which they mimic, has many effects in the body. The long list if side effects include:
- Shrinking of testicles
- Breast enlargement (gynecomastia)
- Low sperm count
- Increased hair growth
- Deeper voice and reduced breast size in women
- High blood pressure
- Heart attack
- High cholesterol
Testosterone is a chemical found only in men.
What drug interactions occur with this class of drugs?
- Anabolic steroids increase blood levels and effects of cyclosporine by decreasing the breakdown of cyclosporine.
- They reduce the breakdown of warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven), increasing blood levels of warfarin and the risk of bleeding from warfarin.
List of generic and brand names available for oral anabolic steroids available
in the US
Examples of anabolic steroids available in the use are:
- oxymetholone (Anadrol-50)
fluoxymesterone (Android-F, Halotestin,
and Ora-Testryl brand names are discontinued).
Latest Men’s Health News
- COVID Antiviral Pill Approval
- Are Diet Drinks Any Better?
- Diabetes Ups Alzheimer’s Risk
- Key Protein in TBI Patients
- Breastfeeding Helps Postpartum Depression
- More Health News »
Trending on MedicineNet
- Breast Cancer Warning Signs
- CMT Disease
- Main Cause of Graves’ Disease
- RSV in Adults
- Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
What formulations are available?
This medication is available as tablets.
Is it safe to take these drugs if I’m pregnant
or breastfeeding my baby?
- No, they are not safe to take if you are pregnant or nursing your baby.
The FDA classifies anabolic steroids in
pregnancy as category X, which means that they are harmful
to the fetus and should not be used during pregnancy.
- Doctors and researchers don't know if this type of drug is excreted in breast milk. Therefore,
you shouldn't take these drugs if you are
and if you are taking them you should stop due to the risk of
serious adverse effects in the infant.