What is ondansetron oral disintegrating tablet, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Ondansetron is an anti-nausea medication most
often used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy. Chemotherapy
agents increase secretion of serotonin which stimulates serotonin (5-HT3)
receptors in the brain, causing nausea and vomiting. Ondansetron works by
selectively blocking serotonin (5-HT3) receptors, reducing the effect of
increased serotonin due to chemotherapy. The FDA approved ondansetron in
What brand names are available for ondansetron oral disintegrating tablet?
Zofran, Zofran ODT, Zuplenz
Is ondansetron oral disintegrating tablet available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for ondansetron oral disintegrating tablet?
What are the side effects of ondansetron?
Side effects of ondansetron are
Some individuals may develop
abnormal heart rate and rhythm.
What is the dosage for ondansetron?
Dosing for adults
- Highly nauseating chemotherapy: 24 mg orally dissolved on tongue 30 minutes prior to start of a single-day chemotherapy.
- Moderately nauseating chemotherapy: Take 8 mg tablet 30 minutes prior to chemotherapy and repeat in 8 hours, then 8 mg every 12 hours for 1 to 2 days after chemotherapy.
- Radiation-induced nausea and vomiting: Take 8 mg orally 1 to 2 hours prior to radiation and every 8 hours after first dose, as needed.
- Post-surgery nausea and vomiting: 16 mg orally 1 hour before anesthesia.
Dosing for children
- Moderately nauseating chemotherapy (12 years and older): 8 mg orally prior to chemotherapy and repeat in 8 hours, then 8 mg every 12 hours for 1 to 2 days after chemotherapy.
- Moderately nauseating chemotherapy (4 to 11 years): 4 mg orally 30 minutes prior to chemotherapy and repeat in 4 and 8 hours after the first dose, then every 8 hours for 1 to 2 days after chemotherapy.
- Not recommended for children under 4 years old.
Which drugs or supplements interact with ondansetron?
Dronedarone can increase blood levels of ondansetron by reducing its breakdown in the liver. This may increase side effects of ondansetron. This combination may also increase the risk of abnormal heartbeats.
Is safe to take if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
What else should I know about ondansetron?
What preparations of ondansetron oral disintegrating tablet are available?
Tablets (ODT): 4, 8 mg; Oral Film: 4, 8 mg; Tablet: 4, 8, 24
mg; Solution: 4 mg/5 ml. Injectable; 2 mg/ml
How should I keep ondansetron oral disintegrating tablet stored?
Store ondansetron between 2 C and 30 C (36 and 86 F).