Double chin treatment
The double chin is the layer of skin between the neck and face.
The face is often regarded as the doorway to the soul. Your worries, thoughts, and desires, all show up on your face in some way or the other. Beyond this philosophical notion, whatever you eat and however active you are shows up on your face as well. One of the bothersome features of the face for many people is the double chin. The double chin is the layer of skin between the neck and face. It is typically caused by the layer of fat under the chin in front of the neck. While being overweight or obese generally causes a double chin, you might be normal in weight but still, have a double chin. It may be due to genetic reasons or as a result of the aging process or poor posture. Sometimes, poor thyroid function or sinus allergies may also cause double chins. Whatever might be the cause, most people want to get rid of the double chin and get a chiseled jawline. A double chin may also make you look older than you actually are. Several options exist to get rid of the double chin ranging from exercise to diet changes to invasive options such as surgery.
- Exercises: Several exercises exist that may help you get rid of the double chin with regular and consistent efforts. Perform the exercises after proper stretching and warm-up. Some of these include:
- Straight jaw-jut: To perform this exercise, begin by tilting your head back and looking up at the ceiling. Push the lower jaw forward so that you feel a stretch under your chin. Hold the position for about 10 seconds. Relax and return to the neutral position. Repeat 10-15 times every day.
- Fish-face: For this exercise, suck air in your cheeks and lips to form a face that looks like a fish mouth. Hold this position for about 5-10 seconds. Relax and repeat as often as you can.
- Neck stretching: The “Brahma mudra” or Lord Brahma’s pose is an excellent yoga pose to tone your neck muscles. Sit comfortably and slowly turn your neck to the right and hold the posture. Now turn your neck to the right and hold. Come back to the neutral position and look upward. Return to the neutral position and look down so that you attempt to touch your upper chest with your chin. Repeat the entire cycle 5-10 times every day.
- Ball exercise: Sit or stand comfortably. Take a small squeezable ball and place it under your chin. Slowly squeeze the ball with your chin. Repeat 15-20 times.
- Blowing air: Sit in a comfortable position. Look upward toward the ceiling. Blow air out of the mouth while holding the lips together. Do this for around 15-20 seconds, relax and repeat as often as you can.
- Diet and physical activity: Your facial fat and double chin may be a result of an unhealthy diet and lack of physical activity. Because spot reduction of fat from any part of the body is not possible, focus on maintaining overall health by eating fruits and vegetables rather than processed foods. A regular exercise regimen comprising aerobics, strength training, and other activities will keep you in shape and reduce the double chin also.
- Surgery: Cosmetic procedures such as liposuction, facelift, and neck lift can help you get rid of the double chin.
- Deoxycholic acid: Getting injections of chemical deoxycholic acid by a trained doctor also helps get rid of the double chin. Multiple injections are needed, and it may take around three to six sessions to see the results.