Is dopamine-injection available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for dopamine-injection?
What are the uses for dopamine-injection?
- Dopamine is prescribed to correct hemodynamic status in
shock syndrome due to
- heart attack (myocardial infarction),
- renal failure,
- congestive heart failure, and
- other causes of shock
- This means dopamine may be capable of improving urine flow,
blood pressure, blood flow to vital organs, and improving heart function in
patients with shock syndrome.
What are the side effects of dopamine-injection?
Common side effects of dopamine include
Serious side effects of dopamine include
- abnormal heart rhythm,
- increased or decreased blood pressure,
- increased pressure in the eye, and
- gangrene in the extremities.
What is the dosage for dopamine-injection?
Dopamine is given by intravenous (IV) infusion.
- Low dose: 1 to 5 mcg/kg/minute IV to increase urine output and kidney blood
- Intermediate dose: 5 to 15 mcg/kg/minute IV to increase kidney blood flow,
cardiac output and contractility, and heart rate.
- High dose: 20 to 50 mcg/kg/minute IV to increase blood pressure and stimulate
vasoconstriction; may increase infusion by 1 to 4 mcg/kg/minute at 10 to 30
minute intervals until desired response (for example, adequate blood pressure)
Safe and effective use of dopamine is not established in children.
Which drugs or supplements interact with dopamine-injection?
- Dopamine should not be used in patients with
abnormal heart rate and rhythm.
- Dopamine should not be used with medications like
linezolid (Zyvox), and
like phenelzine (Nardil),
isocarboxazid (Marplan) due to increased risk of a
- Dopamine should not be used with
tricyclic antidepressants (for example,
Endep]) that increase dopamine and norepinephrine due to increased risk
of hypertension and abnormal heart rate and rhythm.
In the U.S., 1 in every 4 deaths is caused by heart disease.
Is dopamine-injection safe to take if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
- There are no adequate studies done on dopamine to determine its
safe and effective use in
- It is not known whether dopamine enters
therefore, it is best to be cautious before using it in
What else should I know about dopamine-injection?
What preparations of dopamine-injection are available?
- Additive solutions for IV infusion: 40, 80, 160 mg/ml.
Solution: 80, 160, 320, mg/100 ml
How should I keep dopamine-injection stored?
Dopamine injections are stored at room temperature between 20 C to
25 C (68 F to 77 F).