What is topical desoximetasone, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Desoximetasone is a synthetic (man-made) corticosteroid that is used on the skin (topically). The naturally occurring corticosteroid is cortisol or hydrocortisone produced by the adrenal gland. Corticosteroids have potent anti-inflammatory actions and also suppress the immune response.
- The FDA approved desoximetasone in March 1982.
What brand names are available for topical desoximetasone?
Is topical desoximetasone available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for topical desoximetasone?
What are the uses for topical desoximetasone?
- Topicort is used for treating adults (>18 yr) with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis.
- It also is used for treating other skin conditions that are responsive to corticosteroids.
What are the side effects of topical desoximetasone?
Common side effects of Topicort include:
Other side effects include:
- Perioral dermatitis
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Abnormal hair growth
- Acneiform eruptions
Other less common side effects include:
Possible serious side effects include:
- Maceration of the skin
- Secondary infection
- Skin atrophy
Prolonged use (greater than two weeks) of high doses of Topicort can depress the ability of the body's adrenal glands to produce corticosteroids. Abruptly stopping Topicort in these individuals can cause symptoms of corticosteroid insufficiency, along with:
What is the dosage for topical desoximetasone?
- A thin film of Topicort should be applied to the affected areas twice daily.
- Using Topicort beyond 4 weeks is not advisable.
Which drugs or supplements interact with topical desoximetasone?
There are no drug interactions listed for this product.
Browse our medical image collection of allergic skin disorders such as psoriasis and dermatitis and more caused by allergies
Is topical desoximetasone safe to take if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
- Topicort has not been adequately evaluated in pregnant women. Pregnant patients should not use corticosteroids extensively, in large amounts, or for prolonged periods of time.
- It is not known if Topicort is secreted in breast milk.
What else should I know about topical desoximetasone?
What preparations of topical desoximetasone are available?
- Cream: 0.05, 0.25%
- Gel: 0.05%
- Ointment: 0.25%
- Spray: 0.25%
How should I keep topical desoximetasone stored?
Store Topicort at room temperature between 15 C – 30 C (59 F – 86 F).